Saturday, June 8, 2013

Faculty Feature: Steven Tobias


Steven Tobias, an English instructor at EvCC for two years now, has always passionate to teach EvCC students to improve their writing skills.

Steven Tobias, an English instructor, has a passion to help students
improve their writing skills by creating a reading habit everyday.
He recieved his Ph.D in English from the University of Washington in 2007 and now Tobias teaches English 101, 102, and 103. Soon, on fall quarter, he will teach American Literature class.

“What I like teaching here is I choose the textbook for my class. I feel like having students read a complicated textbook is one of the best ways of teach on writing effectively,” Tobias said.

Tobias believes that the more you read, the better a writer you will be. Though he knows that practically, you can't teach someone to write effectively in just ten weks, but he works hard to see an improvement in his student's English skills.




"My simple advice will be just read every single

 day, read every day! It doesn't matter if you read 

Shakespeare, romace novels, science fictions, 

graphic novels, or newspapers."



"You have to make reading to be part of your life. It’s a single best thing you can do to improve your writing skills. I just told my students to read every day, it’s an exercise for your brain,"said Tobias.

Besides writing, Tobias has enjoyed cooking since he was a little. 

“I cook whenever I can because of my job and I like to make any kinds of cooking such as Italian, Mexican and Asian food. I like everything, I love trying new things," he said. "One reason I love Seattle is because there are a lot of country restaurants, and I often ask my students who came from other place about what they like to eat after that I will find the places somewhere in Seattle. I learned cook from my mom, she taught me that I should be independent, and should know how to cook and clean."

Q&A: 

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: Running, cooking, gardening and writing

Q: What’s your favorite season?

A: Summer is my favorite season since I live in Seattle. I've lived in Washington since 1999. I was born in New Jersey and all my whole family is in New York. Also, I, my wife, and our son go camping together; it’s a nice time to enjoy the beauty of nature and relax.

Q: What’s your favorite book?

A: Umm…That’s a hard question, I like a lot of different books, I think if I had to choose one. It will be “A Passage to India." I love the way the characters are drawn, it’s very complete, and complicated. This book tells a story about how human beings so often have conflicts or problems because of misunderstandings. Reading this book, taught you understanding and openness to the world. It’s a really good book and I like it a lot. Maybe someday I will go in India.

Q: What’s your favorite music?

A: I like rock and hip-hop, alternative. Recently, I listen to dance music.

Q: What’s your favorite color?

A: Green. I think because it really reminds me of home. Washington is home, to me; it’s a green place.

Q: What’s your favorite activity with family?

A: Spending time with my son. He loves to go to the zoo and we have a pass, that’s why we go to zoo a lot.

A day in the life of Steven Tobias:

"Well, I get up in the morning and take my son to school. Then I go to work. My activity on campus, I teach until the evening and then I go home to have dinner with my family, after that I put my son to bed and do my work and sleep. Also, I do some reading and writing in the meantime."

Story by Ratna Wahyuningsih

0 comments:

Post a Comment