Friday, May 17, 2013

Faculty Feature: Jeff Fennel



An instructor of biology, anatomy and physiology, and environmental science, Jeff Fennel has many hobbies, but finds that what he loves the most is learning.

“Every class I teach, I’m always learning something new. I like helping students learn new material and I enjoy it,” said Fennel.
Jeff Fennel loves doing anything outdoors, including
hiking, backpacking, canoeing, and bike riding. 

After serving four years active duty in the U.S. Air Force, Fennel got his master’s degree in Fish and Wildlife from Montana State University. He says that he always knew he would end up teaching, and that he loves it. Each class he teaches serves a different population of students, which Fennel says makes it interesting. From teaching the non science majors in Environmental Science to teaching nursing students in biology, he tries to find ways to push each group of students to their full potential.

Fennel also finds enjoyment in his subject of wildlife and biology. An active outdoorsman he is often bike riding, hiking, canoeing, or backpacking. While in graduate school he spent most of his time researching prairie dogs in Montana.

“My research was on prairie dogs over in Eastern Montana. They were dying from the bubonic plague and I was doing these studies to see how fast the plague went through before they recovered. I loved it. It was great out on the field. I lived in a little trailer in the prairie for a whole summer,” said Fennel. “I just like how nature works, I like learning about animals and plants and how it all works together. I like being outside.”


"Teaching was something I always 
thought I would do when I was older. And I
 just kind of fell into it... And I love it." 


Fennel’s hobbies do not stop at wildlife research. He has a side business as a photographer for weddings and other special occasions, enjoys baking, working out, and spending time with his two daughters. He is also constantly reading books to learn new things.

“I love to learn new things and I think that’s where my passion lies,” said Fennel. “That’s what I love most about my students are the ones that are open to learning these new ideas, not necessarily just trying to get the grade or memorize the list, but are actually absorbing the knowledge and understanding and comprehending it.”

Q&A:


Q: What is your favorite food?

A: Probably chocolate.

Q: Favorite outdoor activity?

A: I like hiking. I do a lot of hiking in the Cascades, Montana, Alaska, Wyoming. Anywhere in the mountains.

Q: Favorite TV show?

A: The Following, and Arrested Development, they’re coming out again. I actually don’t have a TV, it’s all on Hulu.

Q:What’s your favorite band or music group?

A: I like the blues. My daughters love Taylor Swift, so I get that a lot.

Q: What would you do in the world to make a change?

A: Well I think teaching helps, environmental science and basic classes just to get students aware of what’s out there.

Q: Whats your favorite class?

A: I like them all for different reasons. They’re all fun to teach.

Q: What is one thing you’d really like to do before you die?

A: I’d like to canoe on the Missouri river where Lewis and Clark floated. Or bike ride through Alaska.

A day in the life of Jeff:

"A typical day this quarter, it changes by quarter, this quarter I’ve got three classes, so I get up early, I drop the kids off at my girlfriends’, she takes them to school and then I come in for morning class, afternoon class, I have a break in the afternoon. Get the kids after school, their mother picks them up. I try to work out two or three times a week at the pool."

Story by Lily Haight

0 comments:

Post a Comment